• Visit
  • Higher royalties?

Tennessee's two U.S. senators are among the sponsors of legislation that would set higher payments for songwriters. Don't get your hopes up, though. My article about the bill will be posted soon on the Bluegrass Today homepage.

• Unfortunately, traditional ways of earning royalties, like CD sales and radio airplay, may not be around much longer. It would be nice if they'd work on some realistic royalties for Internet play and digital distribution. At this point, I'm looking for a rich benefactor to purchase my whole catalog so I can retire. The highest bid I have so far is $42.61.
    • Rich benefactor? So you're looking outside of bluegrass?
    • Every time I think of higher royalties, I remember what super-writer Brink Brinkman told me when he found out I had two cuts on an upcoming album. "Two cuts? Dude, you can super-size your Value Meal." Shortly after that, alas, the band broke up and the CD was never released. So the next time you see me, don't be surprised if I ask, "Would you like fries with that?"
    • All in good fun, I know, but in point of fact, royalties from songwriting can constitute a revenue stream - sometimes a significant one - for folks seeking to make a living in bluegrass.